19 June 2009

Mary Gawthorpe postcards

After moves to make the Womens Social and Political Union democratically open and write a constitution were literally torn up by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1907, there was something of a ruling elite feeling among its prime movers and paid employees. Mary Gawthorpe was one of these generals.

The WSPU published sets of postcard portraits of their committee of leaders.

For reasons that I can't quite be bothered to fathom, there's a suffragettes section on the UK Parliament site's bit about the Life Peerages Act 1958, and it includes scans of a vintage set of eight postcards.

This is only the second picture of her I've found so far.

Postcard of Mary Gawthorpe bordered and headed 'Votes For Women'

The same picture was used on a different postcard.

Postcard of Mary Gawthorpe, portrait only

2 comments:

James Douglas said...

Merrick, please contact me, I have some postcards to share with you that have never been seen.

merrick said...

James,

Give me a way to contact you then! Leave your email address here (I'll delete it as soon as I've written to you)

Merrick